Saturday, December 12, 2009

How about a Tandem Trike? April 2009

After the trike was tried and tested and perfected, I was wondering what next. I was fiddling with the idea of a trike with shock absorbers when I chanced upon a tandem trike. And I said why not.



The tandem took roughly a month to make from the conceptualization till the final execution. There were a few learning’s from the earlier model of trike which made the design of the tandem more refined.



  • The weight of the trike was 29 kgs, while the tandem was 30 kgs in all. I realized the earlier trike design was over-specified.
  • Ergonomically the tandem seating is more comfortable
  • The trike seat was welded with the frame. While in the tandem the seats are removable, which makes it easy to dismantle and transport.
  • Brake system was improvised with the introduction of disc brakes.
  • The axel of the front wheel in the tandem was modified as it would have to carry the weight of two people. Instead of conventional hubs I decided to go with bearings. 








1 comment: